Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Giving Up The Hurt

I have a "flash in the pan" kind of temper. I get really bent out of shape about something and then I want to be over it and feel repentant over my anger....Most of the time.

You know when someone says or does something that hurts your feelings (okay, your husband) and you instantly know it was a mistake on their part? Sometimes Chuck says things that just don't come out right. He means something totally different but it really sounds horrible. When we were first married it caused a lot (and I mean a pile) of fights but as we have been married I have come to understand and try to give him some grace for his lack of finesse with words.

Well, tonight, I just didn't want to give up the hurt. You know what I mean? It really wasn't a big deal. I understood what he meant and not just what he said but for some inexplicable reason I just wanted to stay mad. What is that about? I sulked and stomped around the house, not talking with my mouth but talking with every other part of me (y'all know what I mean!) and then finally it hit me, "It's not worth the separation between us. Give up the hurt."

Why do I not want to give the hurt up, though? Why would I want to hold onto something that will only hurt me individually and our relationship with each other? That's stupid! Really stupid. I hate it when I do that. It's just not worth it.

2 comments:

Hannah Hoffmann said...

Kris says that's okay, that he does that to me all the time (holding grudges). But in his defense, I say things incorrectly all the time like Chuck. Anyway, Kris is feeling ya.

Pajama Mama said...

Awwww. You were just overtired from all that swimming?? Maybe??