Thursday, January 17, 2008

Potty Training: Round 1

David and I began our first round of potty training this morning. I felt like it was disasterous, Hannah said she didn't think so.

He peed in the potty three times, all times when he was already sitting there or when I realized he was about to go and rushed him there in time. I don't think he understands the concept quite yet. One time he looked at me and said, "Mama, I'm wet!" with absolute surprise in his voice. Teetee was dripping onto his feet. So sad.

And let's talk about doodoo in the potty. Yeah right. He accidentally pooped into his box of books. Sorry, Max Lucado, but one of your books got trashed this morning. No book, in my opinion, is worth wiping off after your two year old son has crapped on it. No book.

I was feeling pretty depressed but after talking with Hannah (and hearing her survey results from other more experienced moms) I think I may postpone potty training until the warmer months when I can turn him loose outside naked. I'm not convinced that he is totally ready, physically and developmentally, nor am I convinced that I am ready either. Maybe we will call this round a loss and move on but if it helps my emotional state then I call it a win. I don't want to end up with a battle between on us resulting from potty training. It's not worth it. Hopefully he will kick the diaper habit before he goes to college.

We'll see.

2 comments:

Micah and Shireen said...

Hope you didn't lose too many books in the mishap. Sounds like a challenge that I am not looking forward to. Good thing we have awhile. Once you get it mastered...pass along the tips!

Anonymous said...

address? I would love to see your little boy outside nkd, my neighbours little one is 2 he was outside today nkd running around his little c--k flopping, I got some pics of it I like little c--ks