Thursday, January 10, 2008

Independence

My almost three year old is ready to declare it Independence Day. He is tired of constantly being told No, don't touch that, eat this, go here, do this, don't do this, etc.... He's tired of being bossed around, basically. Who can blame him? His whole life is dictated by me.

I'm trying to be sensitive to that and give him choices about some things. Such as, he can choose when he eats and I choose what he eats. He can pick out his clothes. I let him tell me no on some things if they are not hugely important. Well...let me clarify that. I let him tell me No Ma'am on some things. It's tricky. I can say nope to him. He better not tell me nope. I can say No, David. He is not allowed to say No, Mama.

It's interesting. I'm trying to be sensitive and understanding while retaining my job as mother.

It's an interesting balance.

No comments: