Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Priorities

I had a conversation with a friend earlier this week and we were talking about a particular difference between men and women. You know the conversation, "We can't afford A" but then he comes home having spent money on B. (and of course it can be totally reversed) It just shows that our priorities are in two different places. I think a certain thing is essential while he feels we can't live without something else.

This isn't putting husbands down - it's merely an observation of the difference in how our minds work. What's important to me isn't always important to him.

That got me thinking - shouldn't it be? For the people we love, shouldn't we go above and beyond to put their needs and often their desires before our own?

Think about my time with the kids. They want me to play Candyland. (Remind me to thank you, Hannah, for that wretched game) I have a sink full of dishes and if I put the dishes off then I will have to do them while the kids sleep when I want to lay on the couch while they sleep. Priorities!

As soon as Chuck gets home I want to be "off duty" for an hour, get in the bathtub, and sink into the water until it covers my ears allowing me to block out sound for a little while. (Thanks for the tip, Jeannie) I could, instead, choose to sit with him, hear about his day, and offer him a little TLC.

It's something for me to think about as a way of letting my loved ones know that they are my priority.

1 comment:

Pajama Mama said...

As I sit here eating peanut m&m's that I retrieved from their hiding place so the entire bag will be mine all mine and as I find myself in a dark, quiet house and a husband in bed ALONE, I would love to comment on your post on priorities:

Very well said! Definitely something to ponder as we remember to prefer the others we live with.

And...I could hear my eyes blinking tonight while underwater in my bath....I so could! :)