Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Weeding

I've done something the last few days that I really don't do - gardening. I know, most people do that kind of thing but I just never have. I don't like to be hot and I really don't know what I'm doing anyway. BUT I had a project that I wanted done in the yard and it was up to me. SO...I went to work. I had this one section of a flower bed where Veda had planted ground cover (read viney weed like things that take over) and I wanted to clear it out.

It wasn't a very large section but it took me almost two days to get it cleaned out. That stuff had taken over! The roots were much stronger than you would think for a little vine and it was totally wrapped around other plants like rose bushes and azaleas.

Anyway, it was tough to get that junk out and I noticed that the baby shoots were a lot easier to pluck up by the root than those that had grown. And, of course, it got me thinking about sin in my own life and bad behaviors in my children.

If we can get to sin while it is still in the thought stage, we can get it out fairly easily. We can usually get to the root of it without losing the health of our mind and lives. But we know how close thoughts and actions are so we have to get it quickly. I have found in my own life that the longer I choose to hold onto something the more frustrating it is to get rid of it.

Think of it with your children too. When they first start a behavior, if you catch it then you can usually head it off pretty quickly. But if you let it stay long you have just created a project for the next year! Saying, "No!" to Mama at first is so cute! They're independent and sassy. Fast forward to age 16. Not so cute anymore is it?

I had to get rid of one rose bush because it was really old and intertwined with that crazy ground cover stuff. I actually had to use those pruning cutters to cut the vine because it was so strong.

I think if I pull a few shoots of the stuff every day then I can keep it in check. I really don't want to allow my spirit to become so covered over with defiance, anger, lies, or anything else that major digging and cutting is required. Maintenance is the key. I must practice repentance and discipline (with my self and the kids) every day to stay healthy.

2 comments:

familyof8 said...

A great spiritual lesson learned and now taught in the garden...not all "bad stuff" comes/came from the garden. A truth that will set us free if we let it. Thanks for sharing your heart. Your children are so blessed to call you Mommy!
Christine

Anna said...

VERY, very true with my older children - you MUST nip it in the bud, quickly and consistently - almost before they've had time to think about.