Friday, April 18, 2008

The Things We Take For Granted

Here's a thought about a thing we often take for granted.

Chuck's grandmother moved here from SC into a cute little house within the gates of our retirement community. She is a daily part of our lives and we love that. Today she had a bad day. She is naturally prone to anxiety and melancholy and it sort of took over today. That's okay - it happens.

So here's what I was thinking. Her husband of 50 years died 4 years ago. I wonder if she misses having her hand held. I wonder if she misses the heat of lying next to someone in bed at night. What must it feel like to go four years without that other body that almost seems like part of you? Granted, neither she nor her husband are overly affectionate but still...there are little tiny intimacies of marriage that she would have to long for. I mean, after 50 years it has got to be a difficult transition.

When you are single and have never been married there are things you don't know that you would miss, as I recall from my own single days. I was a lot more content then as opposed to how I think I would feel now if I were suddenly widowed.

Anyway, it's just a thought. Makes me a little sad for her.

2 comments:

Pajama Mama said...

Recently, I was sick and R was being nice and offered to sleep on the couch. I could not sleep. I finally woke him up and made him get back in his rightful spot in the bed and only then did I sleep like a baby.

J

Anna said...

I desire to realize what I have now and not wait until it's gone...